LEYES - Health Legislation
LEYES, Latin American and Caribbean Basic Health Legislation, is a regional thematic database produced in network by Health area and Policies institutions. It coordinated by the Health Policies and Systems Development Unit (HSS/HP/PAHO) and BIREME/PAHO/WHO. This base contains bibliographic references of Health Legislation from over 30 countries of Latin America and Caribbean, can also contain full text or link to the full text.
Until 2007, informations on this database were extracted from records of the Latin American Legislative Index maintained by the Hispanic Law Division of the Library of Congress of the United States of America, with exception to constitutional dispositions and Health/Sanitary codes.
LEYES database history
- Produced by Health Systems and Services unit (HSS), PAHO/WHO, Washington.
- Created in 1987, with standards since 1978.
- Health Legislation index comparative of Latin American countries and English language Caribbean countries.
- Information from Mexico was included until 2003 by Institutional Documentation Center of Secretariat of Health. Information from Bolivia was included by National Documentation Center of Ministry of Health and Sports.
- Information related other countries were obtained with the cooperation of Hispanic Law Division of the Library of Congress and support of PAHO offices in the countries.
Methodology for Legislation
- Developed to guide institutions and projects which make records of Health Legislation Acts collection.
- Allows treatment, storage, recuperation and availability of information about normative documents.
LEYES Network is integrated by a set of institutions that feed LEYES database based on methodology for Legislation developed by BIREME/PAHO/WHO.
Manuals and Guides
- Legal Standards Selection Guidelines for LEYES Database (File:Leisref-1-GuiaSelecao-en.pdf)
- Manual of Bibliographical Description of the Administration Program of Legislation Reference Data - Leisref (File:Leisref-2-ManualDescricao-en.pdf)
- Manual of Operation of the Administration Program of Legislation Reference Data - Leisref (File:Leisref-3-ManualOperacao-en.pdf)
Updating LEYES Search Resources
In order to disseminate new Search Resources at Health Legislation Portal, we request to replace the link to LEYES database at each VHL. Previously routed to the LEYES´s iAH search interface, from now on, the link must take the user to the Health Legislation Portal homepage.
Launched in 2011, the Health Legislation Portal brings innovations in search resources. The main novelty is the use of integrated iAHx search engine. This interface has filters (clusters) that quickly refine searches by: documents with full text, country, act type, subject, year and language. Other new feature is the inclusion of an area of outstanding issues in Health Legislation.
To countries with records at LEYES database
- Access the Health Legislation Portal
Click "Search" to access the Search page of the Portal.
In the left column, select the appropriate country at Country filters. In this example, we filter by "Argentina".
The search result is filtered by country records. From the records of the country, click XML.
Note that a page with the data in XML format appears. Just use the link on this page.
- Copy the XML link. In the example of Argentina:
- Replace the output=xml to output=html
- Copy the link with html output and replace it by old link to the LEYES database.
For countries that still do not cooperate with LEYES database
Replace LEYES old link at VHL page: http://bases.bireme.br/cgi-bin/wxislind.exe/iah/online/?IsisScript=iah/iah.xis&base=LEYES&lang=i&form=F
To Legislation Portal link: http://www.legislacion.bvsalud.org/
About updating strategies of metasearch from VHL through iAHx
OBS: These processes must be used only for using the LEYES database VHLs as a information source from IAH.
The following example shows how they should be configured metasearch strategies:
Note that this setting will do a search on all available information sources in VHL Health Legislation (Argentina, Brazil, Chile, etc). To restrict a search to a specific source, please include "where=" parameter with the information source name, for example BRAZIL, as shown in the following example:
Disabling old search interface
The iAH search interface will be available until November 30, 2012. For this reason, we request to exchange LEYES link until this date.
Questions, suggestions, comments